LEADERSHIP PRIORITIES BY FRANCIS ABBAH

0

“We cannot change everything as leaders but with discipline, consistency and the right prioritization, we can change enough of what needs our attention and focus.”- Francis Abbah 

In a fast-paced world where every information seems to be moving at a rapid speed, leaders are also caught up with lots of responsibilities to meet. And the higher an individual moves up the ladder of leadership, the more roles and responsibilities are entrusted in their care to meet. Those roles and responsibilities sometimes come with tough decisions that leaders will need to make to ensure the continual success of the very entities that the leaders are part of. However, time becomes one of the limiting factors for leaders to accomplish all that is entrusted in their care to handle.

Because leaders cannot do everything at the same time, there will always be the need for leaders to prioritize their activities. It is by the prioritization of their activities that leaders can obtain the needed results they envision from their activities. And prioritization can only take place effectively when leaders understand and apply the laws of Delegation and the Pareto Principle.

First, the Pareto Principle states that 80 percent of the results or output that leaders obtain is as a result of 20 percent of their total activities or inputs. What this means is that 20 percent of the assigned roles and responsibilities to leaders account for 80 percent of the results expected by leaders while 80 percent of the activities account for only 20 percent of the outputs. Hence, leaders will need to focus majority of their attention, energy and resources to the 20 percent activities that accounts for the 80 percent of the results needed. Thus, prioritizing the top 20 percent activities over the other 80 percent of activities.

Secondly, leaders can prioritize effectively when they delegate less important activities that can be handled effectively by others. Delegation helps leaders to focus on the top activities that yields the largest returns and can be done by only them. In this case, leaders can delegate the 80 percent of activities that yields only 20 percent of the results and can be done effectively by others.

By prioritizing well, leaders can obtain huge results for the very entities they are part of.

For we cannot change everything as leaders but with discipline, consistency and the right prioritization, we can change enough of what needs our attention and focus.

(Contact Fabbah Leadership Consult at +233209133430)

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here